23 February 2009

Women + Media

Sex sells. As sad a fact as that it is, you cannot deny the truth. Why else would you have the perky blonde selling Orbit gum? Or the bikini-clad girl perched on a souped-up car? The media tells women to think of themselves as objects, to push themselves to reach a level of perfection that may well kill them. Why doesn’t the media focus more on what women can do, instead of where they aren’t?


“Someone I Once Knew” by Dead Celebrity Status

The feminist media has heightened our awareness as a public to how much women are capable of in the journalistic world. Some feel they should stop driving home their point, but I agree with the author of the second article. What would we do without them to remind us to look back at how far we’ve come? Without the likes of Barbara Walters or Connie Chung, we’d still be looking at the grizzled visage of Tom Brokaw and Walter Cronkite. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that! They were both fabulous.)

As I haven’t lived through the ‘burning of the bras’ or ‘broken the glass ceiling’, never mind finished a year of college yet, I realize my position on this topic is coming from an odd angle. I will never know how hard it was for those first women to break into the newsroom, but I am thankful they’ve made my journey easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment